Sunday, April 3, 2016

2016 30 Day Writing Challenge 2 - 4/3/16: Teeth

Okay, I admit it - I don't give much thought to teeth in general. I suppose in some ways I've always taken mine for granted. To me, they've always been a strong set of choppers, even with the multiple fillings as a child, redone as a teen and adult and now having to be redone again on occasion (or done as crowns) as I am in middle age.



But I think about what I have done to my teeth over the years besides the standard care ...... the times when I haven't been so kind to them. Breaking them down with sugars over the years. Erosion from all the times I've had to (um) relieve myself, mostly from migraines or during those horrible weeks of gallbladder issues. My gosh, how much acid must have gone across those strong teeth. The grinding that I never thought I did but which my dentist would ask about each visit -- maybe he was trying to get me to think more about my stress levels and my mental and emotional health than about my dental health.  All the plastic tag strings I have bitten through and still do; I have awesome incisors, thank God!

I think about teeth I wish I'd had -- not physical teeth, but emotional teeth. I was such a sensitive child and could cry at the drop of a hat. Still can, if I am in the right frame of mind, but I wish I'd developed a thicker skin and emotional teeth a little earlier in life. I think of the times when I didn't have the teeth to back up what I felt, and so I didn't say anything at all, just taking whatever was dished out....... I hate that it took me so many years to find those teeth and that backbone in life. I hate that I felt such an overwhelming need to be loved, liked, accepted, etc. to such a level that I couldn't bear to be "mean" to people. A toothless turtle. I could snap all day long at people and they'd so "oh how cute..... Look at how cute she is!"

I finally have teeth. And people don't always like when I smile now.

No comments:

Post a Comment