Friday, April 1, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 2 - 4/1/16: Hero

What constitutes a hero? Is it always the person who is the best at what they do? Is it the person who does things better, faster, stronger? It is the person who goes out each day to risk life, limb, security for the stranger or even for the ungrateful?

Or is it just an ordinary person who does what they would do every day, without thought of gratitude from others or extraordinary recompense? Is it the person who simply does what is expected but perhaps with a little extra effort or extra kindness?

These are all great definitions of a hero, and they are apropos in various situations. But please let me share with you my picture of a hero.

This person is flawed, and doesn't mind telling you so. They don't mind sharing how those flaws work in their favor, how they still battle those shortcomings and yet just keep going. They use the lessons learned throughout their life to further themselves and their growth -- especially their mental, emotional and spiritual maturation. They don't always get it right -- one step forward, two steps back in the cha-cha that is life. He or she may have obstacles that aren't easily seen by the rest of the world, and they only share them with those whom they trust most intimately. Sometimes he or she is their own worst enemy, and always their own best friend.

Sometimes they're unassuming and want to hide from the world; other times, they want the spotlight for one brief shining moment to say, "Hey world, I don't say much, but here's what I want you to know......" And at the heart of everything, he or she is just a regular person, living the best way they possibly can with the cards that are spread out in their hands.

I've often said that in my own life, I have many people I admire for various reasons. I often refer to my dad's sister Peggy as one of my she-roes for the way she has handled various events in her life. I definitely think of my dad as a hero for all that he has accomplished. I consider my mom a she-ro for handling all that was placed in her lap at far too young an age.

But they raised me in such a way that if I really want to see a hero, all I have to do is check my own reflection in the mirror. And I do not say that as a means of bragging..... I'm not that accomplished or important, believe me. But I am flawed and imperfect and I keep trying. I have obstacles in my path -- some I have gladly and willingly shared, and some which I have not yet been brave enough to tell more than a few trusted souls. I will go down swinging and get back up again, wipe the blood from my busted lip and look at life and say, "That all you got?" because that's who I am: a fighter, a warrior-queen. Some of my forebears might have been boring, meek and mild souls who were content to be such.

Meek and mild? Please. Never. I was not sprung forth on this earth to be milquetoast. I may not ever be a trailblazer on the world stage, but that doesn't mean I can't leave a comet trail.

And here is how I will do so -- and have done so for much of my life:


And I bet if you think long and hard on it, you'll look in the mirror and find your hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment