Sunday, April 10, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 2 - 4/10/16: Hair

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it, long as God can grow it
My hair
I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen, knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!


One might say I've had a love-hate relationship with my hair for most of my life. As a child, I had thick but baby fine blond hair. Somewhere along the way it got darker, coarse as all heck, prone to the frizzies, and still straight as a stick. My mom spent a small fortune on me from 1983 on to get perms so that (a) I'd fit in with everyone else getting permed to death and (b) to give my poor hair a little oomph. 

In college, I colored and permed, under the watchful eyes of Tee, then Dinah. But then I got a really bad color job and perm and I looked beyond ridiculous. I got it cut once both chemical processes grew out and vowed never again.

I colored again. I went red, mostly, to enhance the natural red undertones that God forgot to finish bringing out. Occasionally blond highlights but I far prefer how auburn looks on me. But perming, no......

Until...... 

I have some natural wave in my hair but it's not enough to do anything but tease.....  I'm at a point where I'm ready for change again. I've also considered growing my hair out -- something I've not even tried in over 25 years. My hair has never looked right at anything longer than shoulder length. But I've had short layers now for 20 years ..... and I'm getting a bit tired of it. If I go through with the grow-out plan, we're talking a year's investment. Oy.......

The one thing I adore about my hair is the thickness. I don't know where that came from. Mom always claimed that she once had hair like mine but I have yet to see the evidence. I remember she had hairpieces (Suzanne Sugarbaker, anyone?) so I'm not sure how much was her and how much in photos was due to the assistance. My maternal grandmother had thin hair too, so..... Dad has thin hair, and Richard (if he'd let his hair grow) would have thicker hair. So who knows? Mom swears that hers began thinning after she'd had a surgery ...... so I was petrified of going under anesthesia! Not to worry.... I've had a couple of operations since with no adverse effect on the moptop.

So anyway, this week I'm meeting with a stylist to discuss options, especially for some oomph. I need a new look and hair may be just the place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment