Monday, April 11, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 2 - 4/11/16: Storm

I'm one of those freaks who love storms.


Thunderstorms don't really freak me out unless they are right over the house (as in the china cabinet rattles). Otherwise, meh. I'd just as soon sit out on the porch and watch the thunder and lightning. 

I'm not sure why storms attract me. Maybe it's because I'm a bit of a storm myself. There's always a little darkness, heavy cloud cover, loud rumbles of thunder, flashes of lightning when I'm angry..... And when I'm down, it is deep dark grey with low rumblings. One of my favorite scenes in Forrest Gump is when Lt. Dan and Forrest are on the Jenny in the middle of the hurricane and Lt. Dan is screaming out into the sky, yelling at God, "Is that all you've got?" Yeah. All the feels there..... I've stormed and raged at the sky a few times myself.

And the refreshing cool of a storm! Those of us who live in the South know all too well the joy of a summer storm as the humidity has built all day long, if for no other reason than to give us a momentary reprieve from the unbearable wet blanket of the atmosphere. Yes, we know that with 20 minutes it's going to be just as humid again. We. Know. But for those few precious minutes...... Thank you, storm!

For those of us in the Southern Highlands and Mountains, all the Gulf Coast hurricanes which are so awful for our friends there are so beneficial to us. It's where a majority of our yearly rain totals come from. The Atlantic hurricanes don't do much for us, this far inland, unless they're massive (think an Andrew or Hugo). I've seen the horrible damage those storms can do. I've driven in their outer rain bands when I could barely see the car in front of mine. Frightening and yet amazing. 

And storms of the nonphysical kind do not scare me either. I've been through enough of them. I battle my own mind every single day. I fight memories and words and things I said (or worse, didn't say) years ago that I might regret still ..... And I've lived the horror of losing love, of watching it die before my eyes and hanging on to every fraying fiber of hope, only to have the loved one take out the rusty knife blade and cut those cords.... and never once look back in sadness or regret. That was a day when a storm cloud was born in me. There are other days too.... Each created a beautiful righteous fury. 

Oh yes, I love the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment