Monday, April 25, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 2 - 4/25/16: Play

Play (n.): anything that isn't work!


This was me in a production of Godspell from 2011..... Good gravy, we had such fun that whole late summer at rehearsals and during the run itself. Several of us already knew each other anyway, so that made it lots more fun.

We as adults don't often consider the power of play (non-work) in our lives. As much as I enjoy physical activity (walking, biking) so often I don't turn it into play -- I'm too focused on competing with myself, trying to see if I can best some personal milestone. I don't always do the activity just for pure fun. I enjoy my musical hobbies (singing, guitar) but even with my lessons, I have been more focused on making sure I have the technical elements I place -- am I holding the pick, the guitar, my arm and hand correctly? Am I getting the chords fingered correctly? Oh crud, I was on the fourth feet with that string and should have been on the fifth. Yes, practice is necessary for proficiency -- and I need to practice more. But am I losing the joy in just playing? (Never a problem with singing. That's always "play" no matter what!)

With all that has happened this year, I need to rediscover the value of play, of just immersing myself in an activity for the sheer fun of it. The hell if the chords sound funky at first. And who cares if my ride is two minutes slower than the day before? 

Or maybe just find myself a good sturdy swing set and have at it!!! Wheeeeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment