Wednesday, July 13, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 3 - 7/13: Transportation

Can’t keep my eyes from the circling sky

Tongue-tied and twisted

Just an earth-bound misfit, I
-- "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd


The actual topic is "modes of transportation you'd like to take." Well, considering that I've pretty much covered most conventional modes (car, bike, boat, train, plane), I thought I'd look at one I've been wanting to try for thirty years: hang gliding.

Seriously.

I first got the idea in Fall 1987, at College of Charleston, while matching MTV in the Stern Center 4th Floor Gameroom. That's where the billiards tables were along with arcade games, and the big screen TV that was always on MTV. That's where I first saw the video for Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly"..... and the dream was born.


Now mind you, I was approaching three bills at the time. Can you see a person of such size hang-gliding? The dream has never left me. The foot surgery has put an end to the running dream -- but hang-gliding is still there. I have a few pounds to shed again (aaaagh) but I'm planning to glide through the skies..... Oh, you know? That would be a fantastic way to celebrate my 50th!!!!

So hit the skies I shall ..... No longer an earth-bound misfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment