Friday, January 15, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 1 - 1/15/16: AAARGH!

Three Pet Peeves

I get mildly annoyed an awful lot. I also get over it pretty quickly, mostly. Hair-trigger temper but just as easy to let it go.... mostly. But yes, I have some pet peeves that just twist my last raw nerve.....

1) Driving too slowly in the left lane. Oh my God, don't get me started. If you have nowhere to go and all day to get there, then please -- take a back road, stay in the right lane, whatever it takes, just stay out of my way. Because I'm going to be using the left lane to get around you and all the others.

2) Being interrupted. I have never been diagnosed with any sort of attention deficit disorder, but concentration is very difficult for me. So when I have to concentrate, I put on the headphones (or earphones), and the music quells whatever little distracto-gremlins are trying to get to me. That allows the rest of my brain to take over and let me focus (really, hyper-focus) on whatever task I need to complete. And because I have to work so hard to achieve that level of focus, interruptions are disastrous. My coworkers always ask why I jump out of my skin every time they come over ..... well, this is part of it. I truly am so deep into my work (at least brain-wise) that a tap on the shoulder might as well be a firecracker going off behind me. It's not easy in a team environment to have this need for deep shut-out........

3) Underestimating me.  I smile a lot, laugh a lot, live and die for good music, am a sucker for pop culture things, still live somewhere in the 80s/90s in my head, get excited about things I love. I get emotional, I cry at silly things and sometimes at the drop of a hat. I say things like "y'all" and "mommer'n'em" ...... and all this sometimes leads people to assume I'm about a thimble-deep (if that). Oh my dear, no no no. To do so would be your worst mistake. Talk to me at length, then decide. It takes time for me to be open enough to people to share a lot, but once you get past certain bouncers and velvet ropes (and there are multiple levels, to be sure) then you may see past the surface of me and dive into the ocean.

So there. Have at it. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment