Monday, January 4, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 1 - 1/4/16: 10 Interesting Facts About Me

Really? Define "interesting" .... because what may be interesting to me may be utterly banal to you. Or what I pooh-pooh as ordinary may be something of greater import to others. So basically, I'm just going to put ten items out here.... I'll let you be the judge.

1. I am one of three descendants remaining in one branch of my mom's family tree. The way it is looking, when my brother and I both pass, that branch will end as well. 

2.  When I was very young, one of the things I was often asked to do was recite all the state capitals and the presidents in order (which at that time was either Nixon or Ford). I was pretty good at it, rarely missing. Some kids are trotted out on stage to sing or dance. I recited nerd facts. Go figure. I can still do it but it takes a lot longer and by John Tyler, I'm looking at you with a stink eye and saying, "Why is this crucial?" (Any surprise I was a poli sci major?)

3. Speaking of, I changed my major only ONCE, contrary to popular opinion at the time..... from English to political science. The trick was I did it without ever having taken a poli sci course at that particular time. I still have no regrets. I loved my major. I hate the rancorous nature that American politics has taken on in the last 20 years or so but you could see it coming then. Now, minors were a different story.... education, public health, theatre..... (When I left college, I was still officially a poli sci major and a theatre minor. What a combo.)

4. Tomorrow, I start the first actual formal musical training I've ever had -- guitar lessons! I've sung almost all my life (choirs, ensembles, a cappella, informal dorm jam sessions) but never any formal lessons. I decided to change that. It was different when I was a kid and money was tight. I'm paying for these, so it's my responsibility to make the most of them! "Jade" is my electric (strat-style) and "Ruby" is my 3/4 acoustic. Some day, I want a baby Martin, baby Taylor or baby Luna for an acoustic/acousto-electric...... and a Gretsch electric. Ah yeah, baby.......

5. Speaking of singing, I'm technically a mezzo-soprano ..... at least as I'm billed most times in programs where I have a solo (and as an alto with the other choir members). But I far prefer the title given to me by my dear fellow altos Morgan and Kathy: The Sopraltenator. I have a range of B2/C3 (depending on how well I've warmed up, how tired my voice is, time of day....) up to an A5/B-flat5 (again dependent upon warm-up, time of day, etc). Normal range is D3-G5 without much effort. I am so aiming for 3 octaves even. I wish it were a bit wider.....

6.  For twenty years, I thought I was a cat person. If I ever got a pet, it would be a cat. The only reason I hadn't was due to a family member's severe allergy to cats. Then I got a dog, and realized I'm not only a dog person but a BIG DOG person. Really, I'm a Lab girl more than anything...... I love my yellow Lab mix more than life itself and to know he'll be ten this year is making me a bit anxious, I must say......

7.  I have 3 chronic conditions that I currently manage, and do so pretty well for the most part. Osteoarthritis (diagnosed at age 20) is the one that bothers me least. It caught up with me summer 2014 when I sprained my ankle, and eventually led to my foot surgery. Primary lymphedema (discovered at age 38, probably had since birth?) is the next in line and it is pretty well managed thanks to vigilant care and some AWESOME occupational therapists! Migraine disorder is the one that is the hardest to predict, even with preventive medicines and an arsenal of abortive meds in case I do have an attack. I can promise you that if I say I can't do something due to a migraine, I really don't just "have a bad headache".... Picture the lyric from "Rusty Cage": "It's like a Philips head into my brain...."

8. There is a picture on my desk that is me, almost 10 years ago (this May). I keep it there as a reminder of a place I never want to be again. From May '06 until June '09, I lost 228 pounds total. Since then, I put some back on due to various health issues, etc but have managed to drop a good bit since the fall. About 25 to go to get back to where I want to be!!!!

9. I am always cold....... at least 95% of the time, you'll find me in a jacket or long sleeves if indoors. Hey, you lose your insulation and see what happens!!!

10. I am an introvert, to be sure. But introversion is about where I get my energy, not a statement on my comfort level with public performance. And I have no problem whatsoever with public speaking, singing, acting, etc. On the contrary: I rather cherish those activities. Quite a number of introverts find a home on the stage.......


Well, that's that. Hope you enjoyed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment