Wednesday, January 20, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 1 - 1/20/16: Shufflin'

Put your music player on shuffle; list the first 3 songs that come up and your initial thoughts on them.

Okay.... I never use shuffle, so the first song was actually the first (alphabetically) that's on there and THEN shuffle kicked in. I need a new player anyway... 

1) #1 Zero (Audioslave) -- I love this one, because it's kind of bluesy and in a minor key. I probably shouldn't like it as much as I do -- because I also call it the "creeper" song. It has that stalker-ish feel to it and a perusal of the lyrics bears that out. But dang, that music........ Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes the music and sometimes both. For me, this one is mostly the music.

2) Harder To Breathe (Maroon 5) -- another one I like, but one I listen to rarely. Honestly, I'd forgotten it was even on here! I think it's another case of minor keys and chords that appeal to me. Lyrically, I'm not so keen but that's mainly because it's about a tortured relationship. No thanks, did that emotional rollercoaster already......

3) 4th of July (Soundgarden) -- one of my favorites!!! It's definitely a different song, and again one with dissonant chords and minor keys/chords. I think I'm probably more attracted to songs like that because I have my own "interior minor chord"...... Now, as far as the lyrics, the story is that the composer wrote about a time when he got pulled by the cops for reckless driving (while he was tripping). The police strobes and such began to freak him out and he felt like he was in a panic attack...... I can understand. I got pulled once in the middle of a horrid migraine and the strobes made me want to come out of my own skin. Luckily the trooper was very understanding and sent me off instead.

You know me, I could talk about music all day long.......

No comments:

Post a Comment