Tuesday, January 5, 2016

30 Day Writing Challenge 1 - 1/5/16: Place To Live...

"A Place You Would Live But Have Never Visited"

Hmm, interesting......

About 15 years ago, I began tossing around the idea of picking up stakes and moving where no one knew me. Starting over from scratch with nothing but my wits to go on. At 30/31, I was young enough to pull it off without much difficulty. And for whatever odd reason, I was thinking Des Moines, Iowa. I have no idea why. Never been to Iowa, have no reason to pick it or consider it...... What stopped me? Four little letters: SNOW. I am ill-equipped to deal with the minor bit of cold weather and "snow" we get here. I would be a complete mess in the upper Midwest on my own.

So these days, where would I choose? I keep thinking Europe, for some reason. Possibly somewhere either in Spain or Italy. I speak Spanish, though definitely with more of a Latin American bent than classic Spanish. I doubt I'd survive in Barcelona, trying to adjust to Catalán after all these years! But Italy...... Dream of mine. Pretty much anywhere...... I think I'd find a way to bloom where I was planted.

But then again, that's the whole thing -- blooming where you're planted. It sounds so trite but it is true: wherever you go, there you are. You can try to leave the people who surround you, or bad situations, but you carry YOU  everywhere. The problems don't go away just because you do. But sometimes new soil may be just what you need to blossom........

No comments:

Post a Comment